Animal Vision Center of Virginia (AVCVA) is now accepting applications from qualified individuals for a one-year comparative ophthalmology internship, commencing July 2022. The successful intern applicant will join one second-year resident and two third-year residents (one AVCVA resident and one resident with primary case duties with Animal Eye Care of Richmond).
This program will provide daily direct ophthalmic case management experience and help to prepare the intern for acceptance into an ABVO-certified residency training program (100% placement thus far). The intern will take part in our intern-specific rounds with ophthalmology specialty interns working in other private practices, as well as be able to join in on all didactic elements of the RTP, including bi-weekly journal club, twice monthly histopathology rounds, image recognition rounds, quarterly review sessions, surgical training sessions and continuing education events (ACVO conference, SCOP conference, etc.).
Animal Vision Center of Virginia cares for >7,000 patients annually and affords a strong caseload for training. Within our hospital, we offer state-of-the-art surgical facilities; team members who are compassionate, well trained, and efficient at improving workflow; and strong support and collaboration with the regional base of 500-plus local veterinarians.
The salary for this position is $35,000.
- Candidate must be a licensed DVM able to practice in the U.S.
- Must have completed or in the process of completing a 12-month clinical veterinary experience (rotating internship) or equivalent experience from the private practice.
- Citizenship or legal resident status in the United States or H1-B Visa status.
Required Application Materials
- A personal statement describing the applicant’s background, reasons for applying for this residency, and career goals.
- Curriculum vitae
- Three to five letters of reference from faculty members, research mentors, and/or practicing veterinarians, ideally addressing the candidate’s communication skills, work ethic and clinical aptitude in veterinary medicine. Letters should be submitted by the authors directly to Dr. Heather Brookshire
- Official transcripts, including grade point average from all post-secondary institutions attended and your class rank in veterinary school.
For further information, interested candidates may contact Melissa Noblett, Office Manager of AVCVA or Dr. Brookshire directly. We are also happy to provide contact information of previous interns for additional questions, upon request.
Getting to know the area!
These prime locations in the mid-Atlantic region provide unparalleled work environments and are all-around great places to work!
Virginia Beach has been named one of the best places to live by USA Today Weekend. With any free time you have during the internship, you’ll find cool neighborhoods, fantastic restaurants, a lively arts scene, state parks and the famous oceanfront boardwalk and beach! We’re also just a short drive from Colonial Williamsburg, Busch Gardens and the Outer Banks. The region is very animal-loving, with the presence of excellent animal advocacy and wildlife rehabilitation groups, as well as home to the Virginia Zoological Park, Virginia Aquarium and Marine Science Center, Virginia Living Museum and more. Animal Vision Center of Virginia provides ophthalmology care for many of these organizations. Our practice is also very active in the community, providing free or reduced-cost services to local service and therapy dogs, K-9 police dogs, mounted patrol horses, therapeutic riding horses, wildlife rehabilitation organizations, SPCAs and rescue groups in our area.
In addition, we offer a generous benefit package that includes:
- 401K plan and profit sharing
- Paid vacation
- Paid health insurance
- Short and long-term disability program (group and individual)
- Group term insurance
- Health club / Wellness allowance
- Paid membership in local, state and national veterinary and veterinary ophthalmology organizations
- Continuing education allowance
- Collective and individual wellness/life coaching services
- Fun, off-site semi-annual appreciation events with our local veterinary community
Come find the positive and dedicated training experience you have been looking for! Learn more about us by visiting us on Facebook. See what our clients and referring veterinarians have to say about working with us on our Facebook, Google and Yelp listings.
Please feel free to contact us with specific questions. Let’s talk and explore an opportunity together!